The Marshall News Messenger, an award winning 6-day daily in East Texas has an immediate opening for a reporter in Marshall, TX. We are seeking an energetic local news reporter that has the ability to think for our newsroom.
Candidates must have a proven ability to:
• Cover a news beat and have strong social media skills.
• Generate story ideas independently and collaborate with online and print staff on daily news and enterprise stories.
• Produce multimedia content with a digital first, print best philosophy.
• Produce fast-turnaround stories on major news that can help drive online traffic.
• Write with an authoritative voice and have the ability to quickly synthesize material from multiple sources.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, curious, and dedicated to fair and accurate reporting. We need a reporter who is comfortable interacting with all types of people – from sources to readers – and who can skillfully relay both the hard news and the human-interest story.
Excellent working environment and management team
Paid holidays and vacation
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and 401(k) retirement plan
Two years of newspaper experience is preferred, but will consider recent graduate with good clips from internship or college newspaper work. To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, clips or links to published work demonstrating your ability to fulfill the job requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates must be able to successfully complete a background check and drug screen. EOE/M/F/V/D