As 111th president of Texas Press Association, Fred Lowe opened a 50-year-old time capsule at the State Fair that publishers created in 1938 and buried at the fairgrounds.
Fred E. Lowe was a third-generation newspaperman and started working for the family enterprise in the mailroom at age 8. By 10 he had added photography and work in the casting room.
Lowe received his BBA with honors from the University of Texas at Arlington in 1974. While at UTA, he worked for the Arlington Citizen-Journal as a photographer.
He was employed as a claims representative for Employer’s Insurance of Texas from 1974-76. He then returned to Lampasas to join the staff of the Dispatch Record as advertising manager.
Lowe left Lampasas in 1978 to become general manager of the Copperas Cove Leader. A year later he became publisher of the Copperas Cove Leader-Press when the two competing newspapers merged.
He returned to Lampasas in 1982 to become general manager. Three years later, Lowe and his brother, Jim, purchased the newspaper from their mother, Joyce, who had served as publisher since 1972. Lowe’s father, Ward Lowe, and his grandfather, E.C. Lowe, were former publishers.
He served as president of South Texas Press Association in 1986-87.
Born in 1952, he died March 22, 2005 (full obituary), at Scott and White Hospital in Temple. He had been suffering from prostate cancer.
Lowe was married to Anne Cooper and had two daughters.