George W. Hawkes, 92nd president, started his newspaper career as a high school freshman working for The Flatonia Argus as pressman and printer’s devil.
Hawkes died June 8, 2004, after a brief illness (full obituary).
While attending Baylor University, he served as a Linotype operator and pressman on The Daily Lariat.
At 18 he leased and later the same year bought The Argus, which he operated until joining the Army Air Corps in 1942 as a volunteer.
After his release, he went to work for The Redland Herald in Nacogdoches where he assisted in consolidating The Herald with the Daily Sentinel.
In May 1946 he purchased The Arlington Citizen. As the town grew, Hawkes and his partners purchased The Journal and in 1957 organized Citizen-Journal Inc.
In September 1964 Hawkes and his associates sold a portion of their corporate stock to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Hawkes and his associates established The News-Mirror in Mansfield in March 1961 after The Mansfield News stopped publication. Nor-Tex Publications Inc., corporate owners of The Mansfield News-Mirror, sold June 15, 1983.
He also served as president of North and East Texas Press Association in 1963-64.