Born in Franklin County, Miss., on Dec. 18, 1869, W.J. Buie, 29th president, came to Texas with his parents in 1873 to Milford. He grew up there on a farm and entered the printing office of the Ellis County Mirror at Waxahachie in 1888.
In winter 1891 he went to Wolfe City where, in conjunction with John D. Moyer, he established the Wolfe City Sun. A year later he bought an interest in the Whitewright Plow and Hammer with J.H. Truett.
In 1896 he returned to Waxahachie to take editorial and business management of the Waxahachie Enterprise and later of the Daily Light, which was published from the Enterprise plant.
In 1897 Gov. Charles A. Culberson offered him a place in the Department of State and for two years he served as a clerk.
Buie then bought a half interest in the Waxahachie Enterprise. A few months later he bought the Weekly and Daily Light and combined the publications.
In 1902 he formed a corporation that took over the two papers and the plant. He continued in charge of them until 1905 when the health of his wife forced his retirement.
After spending a few months in New Mexico nursing his wife to convalescence, he became editor of the San Angelo Standard. In the late fall 1906 he resigned from the Standard and moved his family to El Paso.