1. Corpus Christi Caller-Times: Plethora of content. Extremely easy navigation. Very nice colors, layout, fonts, skin. Love crime map and related features. Superb site – what’s not to love? Flash ads seem to move a little clunky, but they are well designed.
2. Lubbock Avalanche-Journal: Love the day-long time stamps. Clean site. Good content. Add production dates to vids. Excellent vids.
3. The Kerrville Daily Times: Attractive skin – nice use of color overall. Logical layout on homepage. Nice obit section. Clicking Videos in right rail gets 404 error – however, you can access elsewhere. Loads slowly. Good job with ads – better than most newspapers. Please include production dates with vids.
4. Victoria Advocate: YourStreet! is interesting but loads slowly. Nice feature. Good police section. Years Ago is cool feature – the year being reflected upon should be in headline or first sentence. Special reports – cool, unique. Site loads slowly! Photos, video never did load. Seems to represent your community well. Site has personality.
1. Beeville Bee-Picayune: Picture’s Worth – cool. Good calendar with lots of entries. Good vids. Nice site flow.
2. The Bastrop Advertiser: Lots of meat on homepage display. On news page and similar pages good use and display of summary. Lala Wall Street Journal. Straight forward, clean, easy to navigate site.
3. The Pasadena Citizen: Good ad placement on skin. Shouldn’t there be a Local News under the news tab (even though this is accessible on homepage)? Straight forward, basic site. Clean layout.
4. Wise County Messenger, Decatur: Clear, clean, straight-forward site.
Weekly Division A
1. Tyler County Booster, Woodville: Easy to navigate. Generally very clean site. Videos are nice – would like to see more.
2. Westlake Picayune, Austin: Navigator bar needs redesign – is unattractive and doesn’t look like navigator bar. Individual pages and sections are easily navigable. Clean layout. More multimedia would be nice.
3. Lake Travis View, Lakeway: Ugly navigator bar – doesn’t look like navigator bar. Obits and other sections need some white space between paragraphs. Straight forward. Could use more multimedia.
4. The Smithville Times: Unattractive navigator bar that doesn’t look like a navigator bar – that said, individual sections and pages are very easily navigable. Clean, simple layout. Straight forward.
Weekly Division B
1. The Big Bend Sentinel, Marfa: Good bilingual coverage. Nice multimedia. Good job with companion descriptions including dates. Obits need expanded headlines – they currently just list by last name only. Good sheriff’s blotter. Nice blogs – how about more “local” blogs? Good archives. Homepage has awkward eye flow – other pages are better.
2. The Pearland Journal: Good content, nice homepage layout. Logical layout. Page design doesn’t wow me but quite effective (which is your goal). Ads are generic – need more calls to action. Good solid site. Very similar to Friendswood Journal – however, your layout is a little better – your execution is substantially better.
3. The Friendswood Journal: Good content. Homepage layout needs more user-friendly layout. Ads are generic – need call to action. Very similar to Pearland Journal – their layout is slightly better with better execution. Text is errantly over some pics on homepage.
4. The Schulenburg Sticker: Include dates with stories on homepage (i.e. I would like to see date before I click on story to help determine if I want to open). You prominently feature Footprints of Fayette – the piece is 3 months old – should be less prominent – same with State Capital Highlights, etc. NICE calendar! The word “copy” is chopped off in flag. Too much B&W. I hate the B&W ad with drop shadow – ugly. Generally, a good effective website.