1. The Beaumont Enterprise - "Home again" by Mark M. Hancock. Nice use of lighting and nice clean, tight crop. "Groves firefighter laid to rest" by Scott Eslinger. Perfect shot. Great composition and beautiful job capturing emotion. Very dramatic.
2. Lufkin Daily News - "Hudson house fire" by Andy Adams. Good fire photo. Judges hoped there would be a firefighter in the photo. Nice photo. "Some gave all" by Joel Andrews. What a powerful photo! It really allows you to feel the pain of the child. It was extremely close to placing first. It's not a moment we've seen before. Great job.
3. Odessa American - "Rally" by Mark Sterkel. Strong facial expression. Difficult to get this type of photo in a county court. "Shooting suspect" by Paul Zoeller. Good job capturing spontaneous moment.
4. The Courier, Conroe - By Nick Cenegy. "Service dog" Cute angle and focus. Nice lighting also. "19-year-old drowns" Great capturing of emotion and good lens use to get depth of field.
1. Taylor Daily Press - "The waiting game" by Tiffany Williams and "Extreme heat" by Jeremy Weber. Powerful color and composition. Very dramatic.
2. Brownwood Bulletin - "A Marine funeral" Candace Cooksey Fulton and "South shall not rise again" by Gene Deason. Photographer captured a key moment of the funeral.
3. Plainview Daily Herald - By Richard Porter. "Fortunate truck driver" and "Ride 'em cowboy" An interesting, awkward moment captured at a wreck scene.
4. Sweetwater Reporter - By Ben Barkley. "Lights have come down" and "House fire" Good job by photographer to get to the scene and capture an unusual moment.
1. Wise County Messenger - By Joe Duty. "Minding Mona" Great job capturing emotion and good composition. Great reproduction, too. "Emotional reunion" Beautiful color, nice moment.
2. Hood County News - By Mary Vinson. "Wildfire" Interesting angles. "Careflite" Good peak moment from accident scene.
3. Boerne Star & Recorder - "Empty shelves" by Kurt Mogoyne. Photographer captures the scene well. Empty shelves help make the photo. "Sgt. Welcome" by Steven G. Watson. A nice moment of a soldier returning from Iraq. Good composition and flow of photo help make the photo.
4. The Graham Leader - "Honors" by Mark Engebretson. We liked the composition of this image. It's a simple moment with a complex composition. "Survivor" by Chris Hunnewell. Good job composing elements of the news scene.
1. The Brownfield News - By Mitch Word. "A hero laid to rest" and "Monday crash" Great composition, package; nice moment in tight shot.
2. Lamesa Press-Reporter - "Punkin Center gin fire" by Thad Miracle and "Into the rainbow" by Russel Skiles. Good use of lighting and lines in the photo. The silhouettes add drama to the photo.
3. The Canyon News - By Greg Jaklewicz. "Paying their respects" and "Hair-raising experience" Great use of lines in the composition, gives a good sense of the event.
4. The Light & Champion, Center - "Veterans Day" by Hal Braswell. "Wreck aftermath" by JoAnna Martin. Unusual wreck scene. The people help give it perspective.
1. Pleasanton Express - "Plane crash" by Daniel Elizondo. Great job by photographer to capture a solemn moment. The stark color and contrast between burned grass and foreground provide a clean background for the observing officer. "Veterans Day" by Gerald Black.
2. Rockdale Reporter - By Mike Brown. "Fire guts local home" and "Rear-ender injury" Photographer got to the scene quickly and captured key moments.
3. Duncanville Today - "Building collapse" by Randy Cozby. Nice use of lines and interesting angle. "Walk" by David Goodspeed.
4. Azle News - "Fire" by Gail Gilmore. Nice action in the shot, and the smoke and water splashing gives the photo an interesting look. "Car crash" by Andy Pham.
1. The Progress, Three Rivers - By Scott Reese Willey. "Boss, 'bout those cars" and "One day closer" Dramatic. Clean composition.
2. The Community News, Aledo - "Katrina victims" by Thomas Peipert. "Band student" by Randy Keck. Nice moment captured, readable and clean.
3. Westlake Picayune, Austin - By Roy Mata. "Motorcycle wreck" and "Plane wreck" Little hard to read at first but not something you see every day, nice composition.
4. Frio Nueces Current, Pearsall - "Set in stone" by Manuel Azocar III. "Scorched earth" by Dean Smith. Unusual, good sense of smoldering.
1. Iowa Park Leader - By Kevin Hamilton. "Spring break" Nice moment, Americana-quality. "Fed Ex rollover" Wonderful capture of spot news moment. Eye is drawn in immediately, great impact.
2. The Springtown Epigraph - By Carolea Hassard. "Blaze guts barn" Good action, color. "Extraction" Good spot news action.
3. Pilot Point Post-Signal - By Richard Greene. "Hay fire" Tells the story. "Crash victim" Good facial expression.
4. Pearland Reporter-News - "Upside down car" by Margaret Coach. Tells the story. "Relay for life" by Twila Lindblade. Candid.
1. Palacios Beacon - By Nick West. "Fire" Nice composition. "Evacuees" Dramatic image catches your eye immediately.
2. Farmersville Times - "Fire" by Alicia White. Good color and composition. "Mourner" by Autumn Barton. Captured ambient light well, nice moment.
3. Friendswood Reporter-News - By Nick Adams. "Man flees" Great image with action, body language. "Cowboy up" Great action, but is it news?
4. Lake Country Sun, Graford - By Michael Matthews. "Fallen climber" One of the strongest photos. Good composition. Unusual. "Dead fish" Clear.
1. The Little Elm Journal - By Devin Monk. "Capitol dome" Strong graphic quality. Good light. "American heroes" Good subject-background separation. Good color.
2. Alvarado Star - By Michael Rayburn. "Fire" Dramatic. Good moment. "Veterans Day" Sharp. Prominence.
3.The Freer Press -By Sue Fleming. "First day jitters" Nice moment. "Storm" People are aware of camera (like the top photo better actually.)
4. The Morton Tribune - By Chris Woolam. "1-1 free throw" Repetition of arms. "Grain fire" Captured flames on the spot.